Title I of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended establishes the following criteria for eligibility for vocational rehabilitation services. A person must:
- Have a physical or mental impairment that constitutes or results in a substantial impediment to employment;
- Require vocational rehabilitation services to prepare for, secure, retain, or regain employment.
Who Should Apply
To find out if you should apply, first ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I have a disability?
- Am I having difficulty finding or keeping a job because of my disability?
- Do I want to work or continue working?
If you answered "yes" to all these questions, you may be able to benefit from VR services and are welcome to apply.
The Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, using an individualized process, works closely in partnership with its consumers to:
- Identify vocational interests and aptitudes
- Determine a vocational goal
- Develop an action plan, including securing necessary resources
- Resolve barriers to employment
- Secure appropriate employment
- Ensure employment success through follow-up services
OVR can provide the following VR services or may refer VR clients to other agencies / programs that also serve individuals with disabilities:
- Assessment, counseling and vocational guidance
- Medical services
- Physical / mental restoration
- Employment development & training
- Assistive devices or technology
- Job placement, job coaching, and follow-up
- Occupational licenses, tools and equipment
- Transportation, including call-a-ride
- Independent living services
How to Apply
- Complete an Intake / Referral Form
There are several ways to obtain an Intake / Referral Form:
- Download the application in PDF format
- Call the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation at the following numbers and request a form:
- Saipan: (670) 322-6538
- Obtain the form from an OVR office at the following locations:
- Saipan: Building N-2, Navy Hill, Saipan
- Tinian: Tinian Health Center, San Jose Village
- Rota: Office of the Mayor, Songsong Village
- You will be scheduled to attend the Vocational Rehabilitation program orientation.
- You will be given an appointment with a counselor for an interview to begin the assessment process.
- For more information about the rehabilitation process, please check the "Process" section.